The worship resources for Thanksgiving Sunday October 9, 2022 at 9:30 a.m. are available to download. The online links are below. Order of Service prepared by Rev. Allison Playfair, music selected by Heather Olaveson.
Thank you Heather for including Thomas Rhett and the Florida Georgia Line as they return to their Christian roots with the recording of I Just Want to Thank You, Lord. Also, we know it is a busy weekend but you must take the time to look at the recording of an 8 year old playing the pipe organ at Trinity Lutheran Church, Now Thank We All Our God.
There are a number of announcements this week. All are important; please take the time to read and note the information.
News & Announcements
- Migrant Worker Donations – After the harvest, most of the area migrant workers will be leaving to return to Mexico, Guatemala, Thailand and the Caribbean Islands. Reluctant to let them leave without a gesture of appreciation, we are planning another offering of home-baked treats. With your help we hope to present each worker with a small box of cookies and a greeting of farewell. Along with the cookies we will be delivering clothing, shoes and travel bags collected over the past few years. No more clothing donations are needed at present. If you would like to participate, we are relying on your generosity to provide 2 dozen cookies or square and deliver them to Catherine’s home at 2 Parkshore Place Carlisle or to Kilbride United Church on Wednesday Oct. 19th.
- Freelton and Strabane United Church Amalgamation – The two churches will be amalgamating into one congregation. The final service for Freelton United is on Oct 23rd at 10:30 a.m. and the final service for Strabane United is Oct 30th. Rev. Will Wheeler, on behalf of the councils, invites Carlisle and Kilbride United to join them on November 6th to celebrate the formation of the new church “Freelton Strabane United Church” at 10:30 a.m. at the new home at the former Strabane United Church with a pot luck lunch to follow.
- Shred that Stuff – Bring your confidential documents on Sat. Oct. 15th, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Carlisle Church parking lot. A donation of $5/grocery bag or $10/banker’s box is suggested. Please tell your neighbours and friends.
- Collection for Ukrainian Refugees – Sat. Oct. 15th, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Carlisle Church parking lot (along with the shredding event.) Please donate gently used winter coats, boots, gloves, hats for adults and children, as well as simple tools (hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, small appliances, etc.) Also needed: Diapers Sizes 3-6.
- Ministry and Personnel Committee Opening – With the passing of our dear Sharon Banks we no longer have a representative on the Joint Carlisle/Kilbride United Churches’ Ministry and Personnel (M&P) Committee. The committee is responsible for supporting, overseeing, and supervising ministry personnel (Rev. Allison Playfair) and lay staff (Heather Olaveson Music Director Carlisle/Kilbride, Janet Heeley Office Support Carlisle/Kilbride, and Jenni Love Custodian Carlisle). It is valuable to have a Kilbride United Church representative on the committee. Do you have a calling to represent Kilbride United Church? Here is some information that may help you decide. Please contact Maureen Trenkler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905 333-9545 if you would like to discuss this opportunity to serve.
- The committee generally meets with staff 3-4 times per year. All discussions and communications are confidential.
- While knowledge of human resources or personnel experience is helpful, the committee has two seasoned members with business experience. Your value to the committee would be to use your background and life experience to represent Kilbride Church members and congregants.
- The M&P committee provides salary recommendations to the Joint Board based on United Church of Canada guidelines.
- An M&P member should possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
- An M&P member does not need to be a member of Kilbride United Church to serve.
- Handbooks and other reading material are available to support M&P members.
- Frances Falletta Passing – Please keep Lois La Salle and family in your prayers on the passing of Lois’s sister Frances Falletta on Tuesday October 4, 2022 at her residence in Burlington at the age of 82. Predeceased by her dear husband Angelo Falletta (2020). She will be sadly missed by her many nieces and nephews and their families. Further details will be provided as they become available.
Music & Links
- Gathering Song ~ O Beautiful Gaia (United Church in Meadowood)
- Opening Hymn ~ Make a Joyful Noise (Golden Ears United Church)
- Opening Prayer and Hymn ~ Touch the Earth Lightly (Riverside Church Choir)
- Choral Response ~ I Praise You, O God (Heather Olaveson)
- Hymn ~ Let All Things Now Living (Heather and Raquelle Sheen, Joyful Harps)
- Closing Hymn ~ Now Thank We All Our God (“M”, Trinity Lutheran Church)
- Online Postlude ~ I Just Want to Thank You, Lord (Robert Deel) and Thank You Lord (Thomas Rhett and the Florida Georgia Line)